I am so excited to be participating in the Twilight Re-Read Along! This event is being hosted by Ginger over at GReads along with Yani, Jacinda, Jasmine, & Lisa. I hope you all will grab your copy of Twilight so you too can revisit Forks and the world of Bella & Edward that Stephenie Meyer has created. I have been on the fence about reading the series again and this read-along is the perfect excuse to pick up and do it!
This week we are reading chapters 1-5. The discussion questions for these chapters are below. The answers to these questions and a linky to link up with everyone else will be posted NEXT Monday, July 4th at Lisa’s blog. I am excited to take part in this bloggy book discussion! Be sure to check back and join the discussion!! If you want to read along and join the discussion you can still sign up over at GReads!
1. Have you ever had to start over in a new place, like Bella did in Forks? This new place could be a school, job, or town… just something with a new setting. How easy or difficult was this for you?
I have had to start over, several times. I grew up in the same town and always wanted to move, a change. I never really liked being in such a small town and never really experiencing anyone or anything “new”. After high school, I decided to join the Navy. That began my “starting over”. First it was boot camp, then A School, then my first command…I married and at the end of my enlistment I decided to get out. I, however, was married to a Navy man and our transitions continued. I have “started over” in VA, FL, TX, OK, RI, IL and then back to OK to start over again. It never really is easy, but it is often fun. I must say, the older I get, the harder it seems to make “good” friends.
2. Do you picture the actors from the movie as the characters in the book while you are reading?
I do picture the actors from the movie as the characters. I think Edward and Bella were cast perfectly. I was really impressed with how the actors captured the characters that I had envisioned.
3. What are your first thoughts on meeting Edward in Bella’s Biology class? At first he was annoyed by her presence, but then after a week away he returns & finds him self very interested in her. Do you think this helped or hindered the storyline?
I think that this very much helped the storyline. I found that Edward’s reaction to her kind of set a tone of his vulnerability that seems otherwise unshakable. I think that this part of their meeting was absolutely essential to set the tone of the fine line that they will continue to walk throughout the book.
4. Out of the secondary characters Bella meets at school, who is your favorite and why? (I am referring to the humans, not the vampires in this question)
As irritating as I find Mike Newton, I would have to say that he is one of my favorites. I guess it is because he tries so hard and I can probably name a few IRL people that I know that are just like him. I also really like Charlie. I like the book Charlie more than the movie Charlie. He is her dad and he loves her dearly and just is so awkward, it is charming.
5. There is a lot of dialogue between Edward and Bella in these first few chapters that I feel played a major role in developing their relationship. What are some of your favorite quotes? or moments?
I love when they are at the lunch table. When he finally invites her over. There is so much unspoken that goes on between them at the table. It is very exciting knowing he shouldn’t be establishing a relationship with Bella and does so anyway. I also really love when he rescues her from the van and she knows so much, yet understands so little. Nonetheless, she is willing to cover for him. I love those moments.
Be sure to visit Greads and link up and join the fun!