I am so excited to have participated in the Twilight Re-Read Along! Many thanks to the hostesses Ginger over at GReads along with Yani, Jacinda, Jasmine, & Lisa. I hope you all have enjoyed revisiting Forks. I know that I certainly have enjoyed reading it again and discussing it with you all.
Discussion questions for chapters 21-24 &
Link-up at GReads
1. In chapter 21 James calls Bella telling her he has her mother and the only way he won’t kill her is if Bella comes alone. What would you do in that situation? Come alone or tell Alice and Jasper?
I always found this part a little awkward to be honest. I probably would feel like I would have to come alone, but knowing that Alice can see things happen, I would assume she would figure it out anyway. I always felt this was one of the parts of the book that didn’t make much sense. I figured Alice was a little more in tune that she was at this point in the book.
2. Was everyone else as shocked as I was when I first found out about the Alice/James situation? Do you think this adds to the story line or was it not needed? Why do you think they choose not to include these details in the movie?
I actually love this part being included in the story line. I think it tells a lot about Alice and I am really disappointed that it wasn’t included in the movie. If you think back to the time of Alice’s human life and her gift, it is totally on cue that she would be locked up in some form of solitary confinement. Boy if her friends could see her now I am not sure why they didn’t add them in the movie, I think it would have jazzed up the ballet studio scene and would have added a little extra connection between Bella and Alice. I also think that it would have made the background scene of Alice ripping James’ head off a little karmic. I think adding this to the book gives Alice’s character a little more depth.
3. Edward had to do something extremely difficult in order to save Bella from becoming a vampire. Have you ever had a similar situation in your life where you had to push your will power to its limits?
I don’t recall having to do anything really pushing my will power to its limits. But, I have had to endure some unpleasant things for someone else. While it is never easy, the outcome is usually best.
4. Bella and Edward get into the “to change Bella or not to change Bella” argument in the hospital. If you were Bella, would you want to become a vampire? Why or why not?
Feeling like it was where I belong, much like I think Bella does, I would want to become a vampire. If my whole life so far had felt like I was out of step with everyone and everything around me, finding the one niche that I fit in and belonged would probably make me desire to not be the odd man out. I believe that Bella feels the pulling of her destiny and that is why she feels so strongly about it. Much how one can change careers without much explanation other than feeling they were called.
5. Twilight ends with everyone going to the prom. Did you go to your prom? Was your experience similar to Bella’s? Feel free to include pictures!!
I went to prom twice…once as a sophomore and once as a senior. I went with my mom’s friend’s son my sophomore year and it wasn’t anything at all exciting. My senior year was much more fun as I went with my boyfriend and a larger group of friends. It was about as romantic as you can get at 17, but it was memorable! Oh, an no pictures, that would be terrible….
EXTRA: So, it’s over…Final thoughts?
While I don’t feel that Twilight is a literary masterpiece, as I have seen mentioned a time or two, I do believe it is a great love story. It can be dissected in so many ways that it makes it a great conversation piece. I have found that the more I read it the more I enjoy it. I usually see at least one part differently with every read. After this read though, I found myself thinking that the movie could have been done a lot differently. I really, really enjoyed reading the book with all the bloggers. It was fun to go through the other blogs and see what they had to say each week. I really hope we can all do New Moon and all the others. Thanks to all the blogs who hosted the weekly questions!