Want to know 10 random things about Jack Getze and his books? Good, here you go!
10 Random Things
1. I love things from Mexico, but particularly food, especially chili Colorado.
2. I have a dog and a cat that I grouch at most days for coming in and out.
3. I used to work with the grandson of a very famous New York mafia don.
4. I believe the third time is the charm; after two divorces, I tried one more time and have now been married 34 years to the same wonderful woman. Never give up!
5. I get sinusitis every winter when the house heat goes on.
6. I grow vegetables in my wife’s flower garden.
7. For three days I rode on an oil tanker that received multiple bomb threats.
8. Delivered a client and his campaign donation to Gov. Jerry Brown and his rock singer girlfriend Linda Ronstadt. She pretended we weren’t there.
9. Didn’t get the job once because my shoes weren’t shined
10. BIG NUMBERS is a conglomeration of (exaggerated) true stories: Fish killing fishermen, brokers marrying their clients’ widows, men living in cars trying to make alimony payments.
Super huge thanks to Jack for sharing those with us! Pretty great facts! I too grouch at my dog, every single day, in and out, in and out! The bomb threats…I could do without that at work, but hey, sometimes it’s all part of the job.
Laugh at divorced dad Austin Carr, a funny, oversexed scamp who’ll do anything to get his kids back. Think Bugs Bunny with guns and a penis.
Divorced dad Austin Carr wakes up every day in a beat-up camper, parked on someone else’s private property. Why? Because his alimony and child support payments were established by New Jersey’s family court system when his income was double, and for the last two years he has failed to earn the legally mandated monthly nut. He’s had his savings drained, his Maxima repossessed, his salary attached, and his visiting rights suspended. He bought the twelve-year-old Chevy pick-up with the rusty camper for $800 last month because another landlord tossed his butt in the street. Will stretching the rules, his own morals, and the boundaries of common sense raise the cash needed to get his kids back? Or will his big mouth and bad behavior set him up for a nasty double-cross? See if Austin can redeem himself and win back his children.
Praise for Big Numbers:
“Darkly comic, with an engaging protagonist.”
– T.J. MacGregor, Edgar Winner, Author of The Tango Key Mysteries
“Big Numbers is a gritty, sexy, violent, and funny book.”
– Liz Clifford at Reviewed by Liz
“Wonderful characters…well-written, entertaining…a good read.”
–Connie Anderson for Armchair Interviews
“Indiana Jones has his whip and Luke Skywalker has his light saber, but for Austin Carr, his full-boat grin is the weapon of choice.”
–Melissa for Lou Reads
“Jack Getze started his career as a newspaper reporter. As a result, BIG NUMBERS is lean and mean, with not a word wasted. A truly fun, genuinely funny read.”
–Lisa Guidarini for Bluestalking Reader
About The Author:
Former Los Angeles Times reporter Jack Getze is Fiction Editor for Anthony-nominated Spinetingler Magazine, one of the internet’s oldest websites for noir, crime, and horror short stories. His screwball mysteries, BIG NUMBERS and BIG MONEY, are being reissued in 2013 by Down and Out Books, with the new BIG MOJO set for 2014. His short stories have appeared in Passages, A Twist of Noir, and Beat to a Pulp. Getze is an Active Member of Mystery Writers of America’s New York Chapter.